Plastics, proteins and plants key to reaching net-zero emissions
6 August 2021
Decarbonising electricity generation, transport, and heating, and improving energy efficiency, should reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 80%. These areas are the main focus for governments and businesses working to meet their Paris Agreement obligations. However, the remaining 20% of global emissions are perceived to be difficult to decarbonise and currently lack clear reduction pathways.
New research co-authored by Cameron Hepburn as part of the University's ‘Final 25 per cent’ project, calls on experts to lay out roadmaps of investment in pursuit of net-zero emissions. These plans are contained in three reports which cover: use of polymers, nature-based solutions for carbon removal, and alternative proteins.
Huge investments have been made in renewable energy research and development, which has delivered many multiples. Governments need to invest to make similar progress in agriculture and industry today.
> Read the full article in Engineering & Technology
> Read Nature-based sinks for CO2 and sources of carbon feedstocks
> Read The climate impact of alternative proteins
Photo by Oana Cristina on Unsplash